Dental Implants: Restore Your Smile
The dentists of Smiles at Reston Town Center understand that you don’t want to walk around with huge gaps in your smile due to missing teeth. We have several different restorative dentistry options for such an event, but one we highly recommend for suitable patients is dental implants.
At one point in time, dentures used to be the only option patients had for filling in the gap from missing teeth. Now, with incredible advancements in the restorative dentistry field, we can now place dental implants that look and feel like your natural teeth!
Therefore, dental implants have become an amazing alternative to dentures, partials, and bridges– and they have a high success rate, too.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants, typically made of strong titanium, essentially act as the new root where your missing tooth once was located. Our dental team are skilled at surgically placing dental implants with precision.
- Not only can you replace one missing tooth, but you can replace several teeth.
- Implants are also a great option to fix your ill-fitting, loose dentures. With implant-supported dentures, you don’t have to get annoyed and frustrated when your dentures become loose– and no more dentures adhesive, either!
- Dental implants are an extraordinary way to restore the smile you have now, and make it healthy and strong once again.
- When you opt for dental implants, other people won’t even notice that you have them because they mimic nature so well that they blend in succinctly with your natural teeth! Now who could ask for better results than that?
The bone graft procedure option
It was once the case that if patients did not have a sufficient amount of bone in order to properly place dental implants, that they were not even able to get them. Nowadays, however, our skilled, talented dentists can perform the bone graft procedure to ensure that there is the right amount of bone for the implant to fuse to, creating a strong, durable connection that will last a lifetime.
The dental implant process
Once our skilled dentists determine the dental implant treatment plan, the implants will be created using biocompatible titanium screws (this is the post, or the new root of your tooth).
- The first step is to surgically implant the titanium screws into your jawbone.
- Osseointegration then occurs, which is a process when the bone fuses (or bonds) with the titanium. Once this successfully transpires, your bone will grow tightly and uniformly around the post.
- Now you have a strong, solid foundation for dental implants.
- Typically after 12-16 weeks, we will ask you to come to our office so we can take an impression of your teeth. This will help us customize the abutment, and to create the natural-looking, permanent crown to place on top of the implant.
- The new dental crown will be placed approximately 2-3 months after placing the implant.
Once the crown is permanently placed atop the implant, your new dental implant will look and feel great and natural!
Sedation dentistry for the implants procedure
Our dentists and assistants will ensure that you are as comfortable and pain-free as possible throughout your entire appointment. On that note, since dental implants require oral surgery, you can take advantage of the many benefits of sedation dentistry. We have several types of sedation, including:
- Nitrous oxide (laughing gas)
- Oral conscious sedation
- IV sedation
- General anesthesia
Rest assured, you will be in excellent, caring hands with our board certified anesthesiologists, along with our entire dental staff. We do everything we can to make sure you remain comfortable, relaxed, and safe throughout your entire appointment. Sedation dentistry is one tool we use to do that.
To learn more about dental implants or to find out if you are a good candidate for them,we invite you to call our office to schedule your consultation appointment. Thanks to dental implants, you no longer have to worry about not being able to eat your favorite foods because you are missing teeth!
Dental implants can be your solution to your dental problems so you can have a smile that looks and feels great.
Our skilled, experienced dentists are more than ready to create your dream smile using dental implants, or any of our other general, cosmetic, preventive, and restorative dentistry services. We are committed to providing top-notch dentistry with a personal touch.
Come see our dentists at Smiles at Reston Town Center to learn more about how we can create your dream smile!